City of Tucson Elections
The City of Tucson election is an all mail-in ballot election. All City of Tucson registered voters may vote in this General election. Tucson does NOT have a Ward Only General election; therefore, if you are registered to vote, you should have received a ballot on Friday. Please take the following in to consideration when casting your vote and PLEASE, MAIL IN YOUR BALLOT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
PLEASE, MAIL IN YOUR BALLOT. THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT ELECTION FOR THE CITY OF TUCSON.
Those running for reelection are Council members Fimbres, Uhlich and Kozachik.
The City of Tucson Council and Mayor were active this year. Several votes were cast to limit your right to bear and keep arms. Here is some of what they voted for:
1. They voted for a Resolution calling for the repeal of the State Firearms Preemption statute, ARS 13-3108;
2. They held a ‘Gift Card for Firearms’ event and destroyed all firearms collected, including some collectables;
2. They voted, in violation of State preemption, to allow Tucson Police to check your blood-alcohol content if you discharge a firearm within, or in to city limits;
3. They voted, again in violation of State preemption, to fine anyone who does not report a lost or stolen firearm to the Tucson Police Department within 48 hours of discovering the firearm is lost or has been stolen; and
4. They voted, again in violation of State preemption, to require universal background checks when firearms are sold on any property that is owned, managed or operated by the City of Tucson.
The general spirit of every member of the City of Tucson and Mayor has been hostile towards firearm owners. They ensured our and your voices were not heard on any of these issues by disallowing any public comment on every issue that came before the Council.
THEREFORE, Gun Owners of Arizona rates them with the following grade:
Ward 3, Uhlich: F-
Ward 5, Fimbres: F-
Ward 6, Kozachik: F-
Mike Polak, a newcomer, is running to unseat Ward 2 Councilman Fimbres. Gun Owners of Arizona, because he has no political record, sent him a survey based on issues that have arisen in the City of Tucson. Based on his answers, GOAz has given him a perfect score - An A. Because he has no voting record, Mr. Polak cannot receive an A+.
Ben Buehler-Garcia, is running to unseat Ward 3 Council women Karin Uhlich. This is his second attempt. He narrowly lost in 2011. Based on his answers to the survey, Gun Owners of Arizona awards him a B.
Some may ask why Mr. Buehler-Garcia received a B rather than an A. Primarily because he would not adhere to our survey instructions which were yes/no answers and responded in essay form along with his answer to the following question:
QUESTION: Do you support requiring background checks on private, person-to-person sales at guns shows conducted under the management of the City of Tucson?
I believe that the City of Tucson’s resolution was political theatre. As a responsible gun owner for 41 years, I do not want a firearm in the hands of any individual who would be classified as a prohibited possessor. If this issue is to be addressed it should be done at the State or Federal level.
Gun Owners of Arizona does not believe that any private, person-to-person sale of a firearm or firearms should be subject to government regulation. The property is either owned by you or it is not.
Lastly, keep in mind, THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF ANY CANDIDATE OVER ANOTHER. THE INTENT OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO INFORM.
VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!